Yesterday was the 3rd of 6 meetings between the two teams this season. The Stars had been 0-2-0 against them this season, both losses being 3-2; one of which being a shootout loss.
Both teams seemed determine to get 2 points out of this game, and for the first two periods, it looked like it was going to be another game like the Coyotes, both goalies getting the shutout. But less than 7 minutes into the third, the LA Kings got up 1-0. Then under 5 minutes later, as Lehtinen is racing up the ice, Ribeiro passes him the puck. Lehtinen splits the D to make it 1-1.
With just over a minute remaining in the game, the Sydor shot the puck from the blue line, where Ribeiro tipped it in to give them a 2-1 lead. After the goal, Johnson went after Otter, and it ended up being 4-on-4. The Kings pulled Ersberg to make it 5-on-4 and managed to get one past a scrambling Turco with 17 seconds left in the game.
This one ended up needing to go to a shootout.
- Alexander Frolov was up first, which Marty got a hold of
- Mike Ribeiro decided not to be fancy and shot it in to the put the Stars up 1-0
- Dustin Brown went up the middle, then got his shot off fast only for Marty to make a fantastic glove save
- Jere Lehtinen went in and shot only to have Ersberg deflect it high over the net
- Jack Johnson had the game on his shoulders, only to have Marty tell him no and get the 3-2 victory.
The Three Stars of the game were
- Jere Lehtinen
- Dustin Brown
- Mike Ribeiro
And each player had a goal and an assist in the game. Jere Lehtinen is currently on a 3-game point streak, earning 1 goal and 3 assists for 4 points.
It was a very good well fought game for both teams. They won’t meet again until March at the Staples Center, and yours truely will be there to root on my team!